Described as a ”phenomenon” by Anna Wintour, Alexa Chung looks her naturally gorgeous self in this picture (above) of her modeling in New York for Vero Moda’s pre-spring collection. This is the Brit’s second campaign for the brand, having been the face of their Autumn/Winter ‘11 collection. The stunning softly-lit photographs, quirky scenery and vintage style clothes remind us exactly why Alexa is one of our favourite style icons to-be. Her hippy, ultra cool and laid back style is definitely infectious, with the public voting for her to scoop the British Style Award for the second year running at 2011’s British Fashion Awards. When asked about what she loves so much about British fashion, Alexa said: “People aren’t afraid to be playful. We’ve got a history of celebrating the unique and the eccentric whereas America can be quite commercial and Paris is couture. I think it’s cool that London Fashion Week is about young designers trying wacky things.”
Alexa’s style icons tend to be men such as: Mick Jagger, and The Beatles. “I like the silhouette of a cigarette pant with a Chelsea boot and a buttoned-up shirt,” she revealed. “But there’s also a side of me that loves super-feminine dressing- looking like a cake or a Christmas tree”. Since she was first approached at Reading Festival aged 16 and signed to Storm Model Management, Alexa has left a stylish imprint on the fashion world. From being a regular cover-girl for the likes of Cosmo, Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar, to walking the catwalk for Vivienne Westwood’s Red Label in 2009, Alexa has accomplished things that any normal girl would dream of achieving! She even had a Mulberry bag named after her!
Now Alexa has been thrust into the spotlight again as she faces a new challenge- she will be hosting a new show, ”24 Hour Catwalk” which features four designers including: Derek Blasberg and Cynthia Rowley competing to create a catwalk collection in just one day. We’re sure she’ll do an amazing job, contributing her quirky personality and knowledge of fashion into the reality programme.
There is no doubting that Alexa is the star of the moment and as we adore her dress sense, we’ve chosen five of our top ‘Alexa outfits’ to share with you.
1. Alexa looked amazing at the 2011 Grammy Awards wearing a (not-so) classic tux customised to suit her quirky style. Alexa wore an oversized blouse, peg leg trousers and gladiator style pumps with gold buckles mirroring her gold and silver rings. Alexa pulls off this monochrome look fabulously and we love her black braces too. Wonderful look Alexa.
2. At the Burberry party in December 2011, celebrating the opening of their Paris boutique, Alexa proves that the midi skirt can be even sexier than the mini. We love how elegant and under-stated she looks in her classic navy Burberry trench paired with those gorgeous gold platform wedges.
3. Alexa looks sophisticated at the 7th Annual CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Awards on November 15 in New York City. Wearing suede Prada peep-toe platforms and Marc Jacobs high waisted shorts, Alexa retains her boho style with the accessories- keeping them to a minimum and letting her legs do the talking. We love the understated glamour here showing that sometimes less is more.
4. We love Alexa’s double denim look here, yes a ferociously dangerous look to attempt but yes Alexa successfully executes this outfit. The oversized Paddington coat draped over her shoulders keeps the outfit appropriate for the cold winter weather and we love her black booties too. A mix match of trends, textures and individual pieces, unconventional perhaps but that’s why we love it!
5. We envy Alexa’s playful take on fashion- for the Valentino S/S ’12 show during Paris Fashion Week she looked sophisticated yet fun in this LRD by Valentino. The studded envelope clutch makes a fierce contrast to her look, and we love the Charlotte Olympia oh-so-desirable Kitty slippers and her retro pink sunglasses!
By Izzy Stocks and Jessica Anuna